Type: Dive Bar
Boise’s favorite dive bar stays busy shelling out stiff drinks at a fair price.
The Cactus is Downtown Boise’s most popular dive bar. It’s especially known for its cheap drinks that will have you on the floor in no time! This Downtown establishment has changed its location a few times during its 50 year run, but the one thing that hasn’t changed is the value of the drinks. At only $2 for well drinks, it’s easy to get in an altered state of mind pretty quick.
Self-described as a whiskey bar, the Cactus has enough hooch on hand to make Ernest Hemingway jealous. However, feel free to try out a whole array of drinks from their nightly specials to their Infused Vodka Bloody Mary (A BBG favorite) to their 17 different beers on tap. And with them starting at only $2, you can afford the variety. Just remember to bring your George Washingtons, though, as the Cactus is a cash-only bar.
With a pool table, pinball, an assortment of arcade games, big screen TVs and a covered patio, the Cactus offers plenty of space and activities to join your Cacti-brethren for a couple cocktails. Even if the “dive bar” scene isn’t your thing, fear not. The Cactus enjoys patronage from college students to business men to the quintessential biker dude. And at the heart of the Downtown bar scene, it’s a great place to start a night out.
- Opened: Approximately 1960
- House Specialty: Infused Vodka Bloody Mary, a spicy concoction that is sure to relieve the worst of hangovers.
- Cheapest drinks: $2 wells, domestic drafts and 16 oz. PBR cans.
- Strongest drink: The always potent AMF
- Most popular drink: $2 well whiskey (choose your favorite mixer, if you so desire)
- Beers on tap: 17, including 10 micro-brews, ranging from Coors Light to Shock Top to Sam Adams.
- Activities: Pool (1), Pinball and a couple arcade games.
- 10:00 a.m. – 2:00 a.m., 365 days a year (a firm believer in the “Hair of the Dog” philosophy)
Who needs a Happy Hours when your wells are always $2?