Type: Dive Bar
Boise’s favorite dive bar stays busy shelling out stiff drinks at a fair price.
The Cactus is Downtown Boiseâ€™s most popular dive bar. Itâ€™s especially known for its cheap drinks that will have you on the floor in no time! This Downtown establishment has changed its location a few times during its 50 year run, but the one thing that hasnâ€™t changed is the value of the drinks. At only $2 for well drinks, itâ€™s easy to get in an altered state of mind pretty quick.
Self-described as a whiskey bar, the Cactus has enough hooch on hand to make Ernest Hemingway jealous. However, feel free to try out a whole array of drinks from their nightly specials to their Infused Vodka Bloody Mary (A BBG favorite) to their 17 different beers on tap. And with them starting at only $2, you can afford the variety. Just remember to bring your George Washingtons, though, as the Cactus is a cash-only bar.
With a pool table, pinball, an assortment of arcade games, big screen TVs and a covered patio, the Cactus offers plenty of space and activities to join your Cacti-brethren for a couple cocktails. Even if the â€œdive barâ€ scene isnâ€™t your thing, fear not. The Cactus enjoys patronage from college students to business men to the quintessential biker dude. And at the heart of the Downtown bar scene, itâ€™s a great place to start a night out.
- Opened: Approximately 1960
- House Specialty: Infused Vodka Bloody Mary, a spicy concoction that is sure to relieve the worst of hangovers.
- Cheapest drinks: $2 wells, domestic drafts and 16 oz. PBR cans.
- Strongest drink: The always potent AMF
- Most popular drink: $2 well whiskey (choose your favorite mixer, if you so desire)
- Beers on tap: 17, including 10 micro-brews, ranging from Coors Light to Shock Top to Sam Adams.
- Activities: Pool (1), Pinball and a couple arcade games.
- 10:00 a.m. – 2:00 a.m., 365 days a year (a firm believer in the â€œHair of the Dogâ€ philosophy)
Who needs a Happy Hours when your wells are always $2?